Are you still using a stockbroker or insurance salesman, (yea, I know…wealth manager)?
Here are seven things you’ll never hear them say:
- “Do you know that you can invest in the the same funds outside of the variable annuity at a much lower cost?”
- “Despite the Financial Consultant or Wealth Manager title, I still don’t have to act in your best interest.”
- “The B shares you just bought don’t have an initial front end sales charge, but the high annual expenses and back-end commissions will make up for that.”
- “Sure, our firm employs a couple hundred analysts, but their actual track record at picking stocks is less than the overall market.”
- “Gosh, you have great low cost funds in your 401-k. There’s no reason to transfer that money to an IRA with me.”
- “The simple arithmetic of my commissions/fees and the high fund expenses make it tough for you to make anything above inflation.”
- “The real life returns that you receive from our investments will not only underperform the market, but also many of your peers.”
Related: 3 Cures for Financial Sickness
Most investors lack the time and the requisite background to be able to see through the “broker babble.” If you want transparency and unbridled honesty, these folks can’t deliver.
11 Most Read IRIS Articles of the Week!
Finding Your Niche in Two Steps
How to Deepen Relationships with Centers of Influence
How To Earn More Cake (And Fewer Crumbs) With Authority
5 Tips to Plan for Retirement in 10 Years or Less
How to Get Your Clients to Root for You
A Plastic Fork for a Planet: The Hard Truth of Disruptive Marketing
Trust Planning: It’s Not What You Leave Behind; It’s How
6 Ways to Branch Out as a Business
How to Get to the Core of Your Company’s Brand
High-Conviction Investing1 day ago
Why Play Defense in Rising Emerging Markets?
Research1 day ago
This Ultimate Formula Will Help You Avoid Dividend Cutters
Markets1 day ago
What’s Going on with the Uber IPO, Anyway?
Strategies2 days ago
The Passive Bubble: Buybacks and ETFs
Development2 days ago
How Advisors Can Keep Their Motivation Going Long Term
Forward-Looking Investing2 days ago
When Did You Own Facebook?
Equities3 days ago
Development3 days ago
How to Get Your Network Working For You