The British Bankers’ Association released their The Way We Bank annual report last Thursday. It was interesting. Here are the key highlights:
- Over the past five years customers’ activity on banking apps rocketed by 354%, with apps now an increasingly popular way to access current accounts rising from 21% of access in 2012 to 61% by the start of 2017.
- There are almost 20 million users of mobile banking across the UK in 2016, making 159 logins every second.
- People are increasingly using banking apps to access a broader range of services such as savings, credit cards and mortgage/investments accounts, rising by 30%.
- There were 4.4 million customer-to-bank contacts made using web chat in 2016 – 510 every hour.
- Video chats are also growing in popularity, up 92% during 2016. 434 million text alerts helped customers track their spending and be better informed about their bank balance.
- Nearly two-thirds of cards are now contactless. Transaction volumes and spending soared by 174% and 225% respectively during the year. With more than 450,000 contactless terminals now spread across retailers from pubs to supermarkets across the UK, 2016 might be seen as the year a quick ‘touch’ on a card reader started to replace notes and coins altogether.
New technology is transforming the way that we handle our finances, from apps which turn our mobiles into a bank branch, to text alerts, cheque-imaging, biometric identification and contactless cards. ‘Banks on wheels’ physical mobile branches are helping some customers in rural communities get better bank access. These changes have empowered customers in the way they choose to manage their finances.
Greater choice in communication is also creating new, easier and faster interactions between customers and their banks. People can now access a range of services on their sofa, on the go or at work.
These innovations are helping us to manage our finances more easily. Whether we want to visit our local bank branch, use a mobile or internet-bank, there are more ways we can now choose to access and manage our money than ever before.
Signs of Slowing Economy Continue to Mount
11 Most Read IRIS Articles of the Week!
3 Strategies to Feel More in Control of Your Investments in 2019
3 Life Insights From the Jeff and Mackenzie Bezos Divorce
Weekend Warriors: Ortho Regenerative Technologies Begins Final Animal Studies in Rotator Cuff Repair
Advisors: A New Way to Build Trust With Your Audience on Social Media
4 Tips to Get Over Your Fears of Being on Camera
Top 7 Questions To Identify Core Leadership Skills
How Technology Is Helping Clients Take a Bigger Role Than Ever
What Happens When Labour Gets Commoditized
Markets1 day ago
Long-Term Investors: The S&P 500 Is Not Your Friend. Here’s Why.
Development1 day ago
Again, and Again, and Again: The Way to Build a Great Advisory
Advisor Marketing1 day ago
How to Integrate a Robo-Advisor Offering on Your Website
Equities2 days ago
MIT Says 2019 the Year That Blockchain Goes Mainstream
Sales Strategy2 days ago
The “Polite” Prospect Can Be the Most Difficult Prospect
Human Performance2 days ago
6 Techniques to Close Deals Faster
Markets3 days ago
Is the Market Rising Due to the Lack of Bad News Screaming at Us?
Markets3 days ago
The Early Bird Sells too Soon