Written by: Wes Stillman, RightSize Solutions
Properly managing technology is essential to your firm’s business health and keeping your clients’ personal information safe. It can also help you to gain a competitive advantage and do better business. In our first guest blog post, Wes Stillman, CEO of RightSize Solutions provides ‘5 Key Technology Management for Every RIA’ to help you refine your cybersecurity and technology management plan.
Just as you do for you clients, your responsibility in managing technology requires the ability to look at the past and plan for the future. We get organized. Perhaps we do the things we’ve been putting off, or start to address the symptoms we’ve been ignoring.
As a cybersecurity partner to RIAs, we would like every RIA to think about these 5 questions this month.
By asking these questions now, you can prevent serious issues in the future.
1. Where is your data and who has access to it? Data is lifeblood of your business. It’s essential that you know where it is and who has access.
2. What is your data-loss risk? As a forward-thinking RIA, you must consider what data is potentially at risk and what would be done in case it’s lost.
3. What is your managed response plan? Every RIA needs a detailed, pre-planned response in place that will be employed when incidences of data-risk or data-breach occur.
4. How are you managing third-party risk? While it may seem that your data is totally under your control, your data may also have vulnerabilities through your third-party vendors and partners. How are you managing the risk of third-party vendors who are part of your data ecosystem?
5. What are you doing to train your employees on data safety? Employees are your first line of defense. They have the ability to protect your data or put it at risk. It’s critical that you are teaching them to be more cognitive of data risks and educating them on incident response.
In case the risk of jeopardizing your data isn’t enough to motivate you, keep in mind that the SEC and FINRA are increasingly focused on the security of your data. Keeping your data healthy and safe is more important in 2017 than ever before!
11 Most Read IRIS Articles of the Week!
Finding Your Niche in Two Steps
How to Deepen Relationships with Centers of Influence
How To Earn More Cake (And Fewer Crumbs) With Authority
5 Tips to Plan for Retirement in 10 Years or Less
How to Get Your Clients to Root for You
A Plastic Fork for a Planet: The Hard Truth of Disruptive Marketing
Trust Planning: It’s Not What You Leave Behind; It’s How
6 Ways to Branch Out as a Business
How to Get to the Core of Your Company’s Brand
High-Conviction Investing1 day ago
Why Play Defense in Rising Emerging Markets?
Research1 day ago
This Ultimate Formula Will Help You Avoid Dividend Cutters
Markets1 day ago
What’s Going on with the Uber IPO, Anyway?
Strategies2 days ago
The Passive Bubble: Buybacks and ETFs
Development2 days ago
How Advisors Can Keep Their Motivation Going Long Term
Forward-Looking Investing2 days ago
When Did You Own Facebook?
Equities3 days ago
Development3 days ago
How to Get Your Network Working For You