Would you like to transform holiday tension and anxiety into serenity and calm using manageable and enjoyable steps?
In the normal course of living, we all feel overwhelmed and stressed at times. It’s also common to get stuck in the muck for way too long.
I know I did.
What helped? Many years ago, my coach gave me an exercise to complete. I was to write a list of 10 things I could do when overwhelm took over. And it worked. So well, that when my own clients felt troubled and anxious, I gave them the same exercise to do.
As time went on, my list grew and clients wanted my list too. And you’ll find my list below.
Over time, my list was “productized” – turned into what are now “Serenity Cards”, a product I sell.
Their instructions are the same as the list below: When you’re stressed out, the most important thing to remember is to find your Serenity Cards. Then pick one. Don’t like it? Find a different one that you’re willing to do and “do it”.
- If you’re alive, life will bring you challenges to manage.
- We can do something about the feeling we call “stressed out”.
- Sometimes “doing something” looks like:
- making a change
- doing nothing
- doing something totally different
- being with someone
- being alone
- being with a group
- forgiving ourselves for our mistakes
- being thankful that we’re alive
Serenity Card Messages: Peace on Earth!
- Ask yourself: “Am I being too hard on myself?”
- Ask yourself: “What do I have in my life that I can enjoy at this moment?”
- Ask yourself: “How important is it?”
- Ask yourself: “What is my gut telling me?”
- Ask yourself: “Are my goals or expectations realistic?”
- Ask yourself: “Am I considering all my options?”
- Ask yourself: “What is it about this situation that I can do something about?”
- Ask yourself: “Who in my family or support circle can help me now?”
- Ask yourself: “What is it about this situation that I can manage?”
- Ask yourself: “What can I change about my attitude?”
- Ask yourself: “Do I really want to be doing this?”
- Ask yourself: “What needs to be done first?”
- Ask supportive family members for support.
- Trust that you know what’s best for you.
- How’s your integrity? Are your thoughts, feelings, and actions in alignment? If not, what can you do about it?
- Forgive yourself…being angry hurts your soul.
- Buy yourself…some flowers or send yourself a card!
- Forgive someone…being angry uses lots of energy.
- Happiness is…enjoying what you have.
- Change negative self-talk into positive affirmations…I am ____________.
- Tell someone who cares about you what is bothering you.
- Call a friend to talk or go out for ____________.
- Call someone…to let them know that you are thinking about them.
- Call someone and…go out to lunch, for coffee, or for a walk.
- Breathe in deeply and hold it to the count of 3. Slowly exhale. Do this twice or until you calm down.
- Go to the movies, a concert, or a play.
- Call a friend for support.
- Find a quiet place to read a book.
- Get a…massage, manicure, or pedicure.
- Connect. Join a club or organization. Volunteer in some way.
- Make a list of the 10 things you’re tolerating.
- Read a book for 30 minutes.
- Write a list of the things you are grateful for.
- Learn how to say NO! (without feeling guilty!)
- Do absolutely nothing!
- Sit down. Listen to some enjoyable music with a cup of your favorite beverage.
- Rent a movie that makes you laugh.
- Speed up or slow down. Only you know which you need to do!
- Get enough sleep…take a nap if you need to.
- Exercise…go for a walk by yourself or with someone you love. Do whatever type of exercise you’re willing to do.
- Spend 30 minutes doing something you really, really enjoy.
- Purchase something…that you want and can afford.
- Do something on your “To Complete” list…or start a list.
- Find a quiet place…go into the bathroom and lock the door if you must! Close your eyes for a few moments and think about something positive.
- Do something special for someone else…and don’t tell them what you did!
- Draw or color. Remember that your children’s books belong to them so ask permission!
- Meditate and pray…by yourself or as part of a group.
- Remember…what your life purpose is.
- Remember…that no one is perfect.
- Saying “no” to others often means saying “yes” to you!
Create your own list and put them somewhere you can find them quickly when you need them. You can also select a card each week and perform that action to help you keep the tension away. Don’t allow yourself to get stuck for long!
People Dislike Really Smart Leaders: It’s Quite True!
9 Quick Tips On Including Videos In Your Email Marketing
How to Work With a Narcissist
Roll Over 401(K) to IRA, but Keep Your Job
The Waterfall Effect or the Delicate Art of Alignment
Muni Technicals Weaken, but Relative Performance Holds Steady
What Customer Reaction to GDPR Is Telling Us About Our Data Culture
How to Get Rid of Your Toxic Work Culture
11 Ways the New Tax Law Could Help or Hurt Your Tax Return
4 Powerful Personal Branding Examples that Work
Investing in Life16 hours ago
Storyselling: Six Magic Words Guaranteed to Engage Your Clients
Development16 hours ago
How to Offer More to Your Ideal Clients
Solutions16 hours ago
Top 4 Themes in Impact Investing Right Now
Investments2 days ago
Global Equity Views 4Q 2018
Development2 days ago
How To Deliver Value During Prospect Engagement
Financial Podcasts2 days ago
How to Merge a CPA Firm With a Wealth Management Firm
Learn3 days ago
Millennials and Responsible Investing: Bridging the Generation Gap
Social Selling3 days ago
Is Spending Piles of Money on Marketing Just a Waste?