When I look back on my career at Verizon at the times my teams truly knocked it out the park–the times we increased results exponentially and led the Nation in results or had a major turnaround pulling a team out of the abyss, there is one common characteristic. We had the team laser-focused on the one or two critical behaviors that mattered most at the frontline– and they were doing them consistently.
Seems so basic and easy? Right? And yet it’s so easy to get distracted–focusing on the 27 other “critical” metrics on your scorecard, or the merger, or some special project.
4 QUESTIONS TO KEEP YOUR TEAM FOCUSED ON WHAT MATTERS MOST #MINDTHEMIT
If you’re looking to get your team FOCUSED on what matters most… it starts by IDENTIFYING what matters most. And then, consistently reinforcing those behaviors (as my teams would describe “Like a maniac”) through every means possible.
What Matters most?
- What do our customers really need from us–consistently? (Not 37 things. Pick one or two.)
- What values have we committed to?
- When we walk away from our work, what will we be proud to have accomplished
- Win or lose, how will we know we’ve done our very best?
Which actions have the most Impact?
- What are the critical behaviors that drive your results?
- If we could only do one thing, which behavior would have the greatest impact?
- What invisible behaviors might we forget? (eg: sleep, time with others, fun)
Where Do I / we need to say No?
- What are we choosing to do instead of our MIT?
- How can we make a different choice?
- What are silly, creative, impossible ways to do things differently?
- Where do we need to have tough conversations?
How Will I/we stay Disciplined?
- What are my/our biggest distractions?
- How can we ensure they don’t derail us?
- How will we keep the MIT in front of us all the time?
- How will we hold ourselves accountable for maintaining focus on the MIT?
6 Ways to Unwind This Holiday Season
It’s Never Too Soon to Start Estate Planning
Fiduciary and Best Interest Are Not Synonyms
7 Ways to Avoid Arguments During the Holiday Season
The Biggest Risk for Business Owners
A New Wrinkle in the U.S. — China Trade Dispute
Want To Make An Impact? Lead With Humble Pie
How to Go One Step Further with Your 2019 Strategic Plan
Can Verizon Overcome the Acquisition of Aol and Yahoo – That Never Made Sense
What Makes a Great Whitepaper?
Development23 hours ago
Building an RIA Firm for Maximum Value from an Investment Banker’s Perspective
Development23 hours ago
Good? Fast? or Cheap? What Sort of Advice Is It Going to Be?
Financial Podcasts24 hours ago
MarketCounsel Summit Series: The Most Important Data Questions Advisors Are Not Asking—with George Svagera
Financial Podcasts2 days ago
MarketCounsel Summit Series: Turn Fearful Clients into Fearless Investors with Aaron Klein
Research2 days ago
What Brexit and the Ongoing Problems in the European Union Mean For Investors
Building Smarter Portfolios2 days ago
Merger Arbitration Strategies and Protection
Advisor3 days ago
How to Budget for the Holidays
Social Selling3 days ago
As a Salesman I Taught Myself to Market … and You Should Too!