How good are your public speaking skills?
Many writers are more comfortable at their keyboards than at lecterns. Many executives are more comfortable speaking one-on-one than speaking on a panel. Many authors are more comfortable writing a book than doing the book talks.
Yet good public speaking skills are essential to any career.
- It’s the terrific conference speaker who gets the best social media coverage.
- It’s the confident entrepreneur whose presentation brings in more business.
- It’s the savvy lecturer who gets the job promotion.
- It’s the articulate PR person who scores a raise.
- It’s the author with top platform skills who gets a bigger advance on her next book.
1. Look for opportunities to speak. The more you do it, the better you’ll get.
2. Not comfortable speaking in public? Turn to Toastmasters for practical advice.
3. Write down your public speaking goals. Do you want to improve eye contact … create social media buzz … use stronger body language? Tackle one goal each time you present.
4. Read about public speaking. You can borrow a copy of HOW TO WRITE & GIVE A SPEECH from any public library. (Make sure it’s the updated 2014 edition so you get the new information on international speeches, social media, etc.)
5. Ask a colleague to give you one specific suggestion.
6. Watch speeches. Take notes. See what works and what doesn’t work – then have fun figuring out why.
7. Get public speaking tips on Twitter. I tweet regularly about #publicspeaking #speechwriting #HowToWriteAndGiveASpeech #HTWGAS #Toastmasters #presentationskills #media #coaching #socialmedia and (yes) the ubiquitous #PPT
Al Gore, Jack Bogle & Jason Zweig to Headline The MarketCounsel Summit 2018
8 Key Considerations for Full Life Satisfaction
Million Dollar Listing’s Ryan Serhant on How His First Business Came Crashing Down
Recognizing and Managing Exceptional, Average and Underperforming Individuals
How to Follow Your Financial Playbook To Victory
3 Ways to Build Mental Toughness
The Four Ingredients of Great Customer Experience
5 Sales Tips to Break Through the Clutter
The Plight of the Long-Term Unemployed and How to Overcome It
What High-Converting Landing Pages Have in Common
Learn11 hours ago
Millennials and Responsible Investing: Bridging the Generation Gap
Social Selling12 hours ago
Is Spending Piles of Money on Marketing Just a Waste?
Building Smarter Portfolios12 hours ago
Understanding Hedge Fund Replication
Insights2 days ago
Leaders: How Your Audacious Goal Can Actually Hurt People
Development2 days ago
Discouraged? Remember Why You Got in This Business
Financial Podcasts2 days ago
What to Expect this Holiday Season According to the National Retail Federation
Development3 days ago
A Better Way to Seek Referrals
Behavioral Intelligence3 days ago
Human Behavior Is Predictable, Markets Are Not