Before I get too far into this article, it’s important to note that, although this is about advisor marketing tactics, it’s essential that your marketing “tactics” feed your marketing “strategies”. Your strategies are how you want to achieve your goals – your tactics are what you need to “do” to implement those strategies and achieve your goals.
STRATEGIES (A PRIMER)
One could ask whether or not the only important marketing strategy is to increase sales and grow the business. Well, maybe. But a significant number of our financial clients come to us not just because they want to attract more clients… they come to us because they want “better” clients.
For that very reason, we believe that one of the most significant advisor marketing strategies is to have a compelling advisor brand.
It’s essential to have a solid and, as much as possible, a unique expression of who you are and what you do better (or differently) than others in your area of expertise. A good brand sets the tone, helps you get noticed for the right reasons and gives you the instant credibility your marketing tactics need to succeed.
Since this article is about Tactics and not Strategies, I won’t belabor the point here but whatever the list of strategies are four your firm, establishing or solidifying your brand should be on that list.
TACTICS (THE DETAILS)
When it comes to marketing tactics for your financial advisor business, there are no magic bullets. Every advisor marketing tactic listed below needs a coordinated and significant effort for you to enjoy its success – and build your success.
The tactics listed below are categorized into levels of importance. They often build upon and enhance the probability of success for other tactics.
Advisor Marketing Tactics:
THE “MUST HAVE” LIST:
- DEFINED IDEAL AUDIENCE(S)/NICHE MARKET(S)
- ROLE SPECIFIC ADVISOR WEBSITE MARKETING
- WRITING AND PACKAGING CONTENT
- SHARING CONTENT
THE “SHOULD HAVE” LIST:
- REFERRAL MARKETING
- EMAIL MARKETING
- NURTURE EMAIL MARKETING
- AUDIO OR VIDEO CHANNELS
- GETTING PUBLIC RELATIONS
- WEBINAR MARKETING
- SEMINAR MARKETING
- CLIENT APPRECIATION EVENTS
- SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION
THE “WORTH THINKING ABOUT”
- ADVERTORIAL IN TARGETED PUBLICATIONS
- ADVERTISING IN TARGETED MEDIA
- RE-TARGETING ADS
- ONLINE ADVERTISING
- COLD-CALLING TARGETED OPPORTUNITIES (via LinkedIn search)
- DIRECT MAIL
BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER (WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE)
Once you understand your marketing strategies – things like building your brand by defining who you are and your style, creating depth, sharing your story, and expanding your vision – then it’s time to figure out what you need to do to make it happen. Some tactics work well together – some not so well. Here’s a good sample starter list to get the thought process going:
WORK WELL TOGETHER:
- A well-articulated Brand with a clear audience.
- A powerful website with clear message and compelling content.
- Simple easy to say yes to call-to-actions.
- Nurture campaign with more value.
- Professional social networks (1-3) where you regularly share value.
- Integrate marketing with direct mail, online advertising, cold-calling. (i.e. use a free guide download as direct mail or cold-calling offer vs a “free consultation”)
- Connect all online tools and strategies. (i.e. Ad leads to Facebook which leads to Blog which leads to Download which leads to Nurture Campaign which leads to Webinar which leads to Free Assessment/Meeting)
What the Fed Said to Spook the Markets
11 Most Read IRIS Articles of the Week!
The Cornerstone of Effective Marketing Is Understanding Your Niche
Find Your Why, Before You Give
How Will Asset Managers Find Ways to Distribute Going Forward?
Get Real: Stepping off the Hamster Wheel of Life
The Culture Perception Gaps Between Executives and Employees
Get Naked With Your Money: Wrinkles, Bulges And All!
Do This To Complete Your Vital Activities Each Day
Traditional Retailers Are Failing And It’s Not Amazon’s Fault
Research14 hours ago
What the Fed Said to Spook the Markets
Advisor2 days ago
Cybersecurity and Privacy: Tips for People with Substantial Wealth
Brand Strategy2 days ago
A Different Way To Think About Leverage
Equities2 days ago
What You Need to Know about Investing in Healthcare AI
Markets2 days ago
The Fed’s Next Move May Be No Move at All
Markets3 days ago
Why The Next Recession Will Be Different
Equities3 days ago
What You’re Not Hearing About the China Trade War
Development3 days ago
The Best Practice Management Idea of the Year