There are hundreds of types of companies you could start. This is not intended to be a comprehensive step by step to cover every kind of company.
This is for someone looking to start a service business, or informational products company (e.g Photographer, SEO, Social Media Consultant, Life Coach, Real Estate Agent, Blogger.)
ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS
- What does your company do? Write down what your business does as if you are explaining it to an 8 year old.
- Who do you want to work with? Be specific. (if you need help, use our target audience Mad-libs tool.)
- What is your company name? Check to see if anyone else is using it and if the website name is available.
- What are 3 problems you solve?
- What are 3 services/products you offer?
- What are you going to charge for your services?
- How are you going to invoice people or collect payments?
- What other types of businesses can you partner with? Look for related companies. (e.g. SEOs work well with Web Developers, Massage Therapists work well with Chiropractors, Real Estate Agents work well with Mortgage Brokers.)
FIND THESE PEOPLE
- Register the business. I registered as an LLC. (Ask your accountant)
- Get a Tax ID number (EIN)
- Get business cards.
- Build a website on your own domain.
- Get a branded email address. No Gmail, no Yahoo, no AOL. It should be a email@example.com email address.
- Have your attorney write your agreements. If you are not an attorney, do not write your own agreements.
- Write down all of the reasons someone would choose not to work with you. Acknowledge these objections and determine the paths around it.
- Go find clients/buyers.
Beware of the Energy Vampires
When Financial Goals Aren’t Enough!
Finding Senior Care on Limited Budgets
What Is a Key Employee and Why Are They So Critical?
Listening to Understand Is to Stand Under
What Support Looks Like in Leadership
Don’t Make Your Financial Content Buzzkill
Legacy Vendors Are a Bigger Issue Than Legacy Systems
Are You Aware of These Nine Risks to Your Portfolio?
Catching People Doing What’s Right Along the Customer Experience Journey
Learn20 hours ago
A Surprising Post-Election Investment Idea
Development20 hours ago
The Extraordinary Power of the First 90 Days
Digital Strategy20 hours ago
FINRA and Compliance In The Era of Fake News
Building Smarter Portfolios2 days ago
Beware the “Known-Unknowns”
Learn2 days ago
Cybersecurity Without The Commitment
Development2 days ago
How Freedom Resulted in $300mm to $800mm in Just 8 Years
Insights4 days ago
How to Start Your Journey to Be Different
Advisor4 days ago
11 Ways the New Tax Law Could Help or Hurt Your Tax Return