Clearly describing your value should be something that you can do anytime. Your description should be direct, simple, and understandable to grab the attention of your prospects.
Here is a Messaging Your Value Formula for differentiation that will help you truly stand out.
- Focus your message on a target. Focusing on everyone with more than $1 million to invest is not a target. Be selective.
- Describe what they want that you offer. What does your target market truly desire?
- Share how you are different than most. You don’t have to be uniquely different from everyone, just offer a key differentiation.
- Have a story that proves it! Give an example of what you do.
Below is a statement from a financial advisor. He works with many different types of target markets and people. However, when he is talking with a business owner, this is what he shares:
We are a financial advisory firm that specializes in working with business owners. In fact, to date, we have helped more than 60 business owners successfully sell their business and move on to the next phase of their lives.
Here is the breakdown of the differentiating message:
- Focus your message on a target: Business Owners
- Describe what they want that you offer: Guidance in selling a business
- Share how you are different than most: Understanding of business owners really want (hint: they don’t “want” a 401k)
- Have a story that proves it! More than 60 business owners…
Try it! You will be able to describe your value clearly by following the Messaging Your Value Formula. Marketing to the masses is fine for some, but ineffective for most. Focus on grabbing the attention of the person right in front of you.
11 Most Read IRIS Articles of the Week!
Why Secure Passwords Matter and How to Create Them
10 Ways to Celebrate International Women’s Day
Becoming a Great Podcast Host with Celeste Headlee
New Guiding Principles for Opportunity Zone Investors
Leaders: Do You Challenge Your Status Quo?
9 Marketing Trends That Will Dominate This Year
How To Keep Envy From Destroying Your Workplace
6 Tips to Help Your Journey to Retirement
Who Do You Sell to First
Forward-Looking Investing2 days ago
Moat Investing: Powered by Morningstar
Market Strategist2 days ago
We Are Not Convinced the Market Storm Has Completely Passed
Development2 days ago
Advisors: How To Answer “What Do You Do?”
Markets2 days ago
Higher Mortgage Rates, Student Loans and Nike
Equities3 days ago
7 Stocks That Pay the Largest Dividends of All That Trade on Nasdaq – Or Do They?
Advisor3 days ago
The Wizards of Wall Street vs. The Selbees from Michigan
Markets4 days ago
The Chameleons Are on the Run
Compliance4 days ago
Regulators Focusing on How Firms Identify, Monitor and Test Custody Scenarios With Client Assets