Written by: Margaret Warner
In 1979, The Buggles declared the death of audio with “Video Killed the Radio Star.” Today, audio-based media has a stronger foothold than ever nearly 40 years later – thanks in large part to podcasts.
According to Nielsen, half of all homes, more than 60 million households, are podcast fans. Half of these households regularly listen to at least one podcast, while 22 percent consider themselves “avid” podcast listeners. With podcasts influencing consumer behavior by the billions each year, advertisers should consider adding them to their media mix.
PR professionals generate a steady supply of innovative ideas and can leverage podcasts for in-depth learning and brainstorming. For your listening pleasure, below are some of the podcasts bringing us insightful perspectives and creative vision lately:
- Business Wars examines what motivates competing brands, such as Nike and Adidas, as well as their leaders, inventors, investors and executives.
- Lewis Howes’ School of Greatness shares inspiring stories to help listeners uncover what makes great people great.
- From the HowStuffWorks Network, Stuff You Should Know provides insights on a wide variety of topics, such as science, music, history and pop-culture. Stuff Mom Never Told You also dives into research-driven examinations of the always-evolving challenges facing women today and throughout history.
- Just a Taste from ChefsBest, the food and beverage industry expert guiding consumers to the best tasting foods, offers expert tips and inspiring stories from growing companies, marketers, popular chefs, dietitians, and researchers.
- The Minimalists, Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus, explain ways people can live meaningful lives with less stuff and fewer distractions.
- You Must Remember This, hosted by Karina Longworth, is a shining example of effective storytelling and sheds light on the secret and forgotten histories of Hollywood’s first century.
- The New York Times Popcast, hosted by Jon Caramanica, keeps our team sharp about the latest in pop music.
Podcasts are just an earbud away during commutes, workouts or lunch breaks. They explore concepts and human experiences in-depth; a refreshing reprieve from the soundbite and listicle world we live in.
Curiosity, creativity and storytelling are central to what we do as communicators, so take the time to find a podcast that fits your schedule and feeds your creative genius.
The Cornerstone of Effective Marketing Is Understanding Your Niche
Find Your Why, Before You Give
How Will Asset Managers Find Ways to Distribute Going Forward?
Get Real: Stepping off the Hamster Wheel of Life
The Culture Perception Gaps Between Executives and Employees
Get Naked With Your Money: Wrinkles, Bulges And All!
Do This To Complete Your Vital Activities Each Day
Traditional Retailers Are Failing And It’s Not Amazon’s Fault
Why Following Someone Else’s Plan Never Works
Drive Towards Having Great Money Habits
Advisor15 hours ago
Cybersecurity and Privacy: Tips for People with Substantial Wealth
Brand Strategy15 hours ago
A Different Way To Think About Leverage
Equities15 hours ago
What You Need to Know about Investing in Healthcare AI
Markets1 day ago
The Fed’s Next Move May Be No Move at All
Markets2 days ago
Why The Next Recession Will Be Different
Equities2 days ago
What You’re Not Hearing About the China Trade War
Development2 days ago
The Best Practice Management Idea of the Year
Advisor2 days ago
Homer Simpson vs Mr. Burns