Staycations are a great way to take a break from routine, and create delightful, relaxing vacation at home, and then pocket the savings.
The effort involved in organizing a trip can take time and energy, not to mention expense. If you’re open to a more leisurely way to go on vacation, try a staycation-a fun-filled furlough at home that is both destressing and cost-efficient. Here are tips to plan a creative and awesome getaway without leaving the comforts of your home.
Easy Ways to Vacation at Home
- Turn off and unplug — to make it truly relaxing, turn off the computer, don’t check email, or do housework and other chores. Consider putting the snail mail on hold and turn off the news.
- Create a spa environment at home — Splurge on spa-like amenities like a vase of flowers, scented lotions and scrubs, an in-home pedicure kit, make you own fruit-flavored filter water, and fill the room with aromatherapy scents and candles. Hire a massage therapist who makes house calls. Order in “destination-worthy” dinner, or pick up succulent steaks and crabs.
- Take long, hot baths and enjoy a glass of wine or a hot cup of tea. Be sure to add candles to heighten the relaxing ambiance. And add soft music in the background.
- Be a tourist — make a list of monuments, museums, and local exhibitions or shows you want to see. Then plan an excursion, lunch out with special friends, a movie in the evening.
- Take a hike — or ride the bike through a local green space and enjoy the beauty of a garden, and bring a picnic lunch.
- Read a good book – no matter your favorite reads, stock up or catch up on books that you’ve put off reading. Save money with a library book loan. Find a comfy chair, or hammock and treat yourself to the picnic lunch and escape into the story.
- Take a class in writing, photography, cooking. Learn to play golf, tennis, or anther sport. Or go berry or peach picking at a local farm, and go home to bake a pie.
- Escape by playing vacation music. Pretend you’re strolling the beaches of Bahia, play the classic bossa nova of Antonio Carlos Jobim. Or if you like a more country atmosphere, play music by Willie Nelson or another country artist.
- Camp out in your backyard. Borrow a tent, and heat up the grill. Pack drinks in thermoses and snacks in Ziploc bags. Bring sleeping bags or blankets, flashlights, and mosquito repellent. Be sure to bring marshmallows for roasting.
Get my newsletter. Send an email to Carol@seniorcare.com with newsletter in the subject line.
Carol Marak, aging advocate and editor at Seniorcare.com. She’s earned a Certificate in the Fundamentals of Gerontology from UC Davis, School of Gerontology.
Will the Fed Cut Rates?
How to Grow as a Financial Services Marketer
Why Companies’ CSR Efforts Fail
Manage Like a Coach Not a Boss
What Does the Fourth Industrial Revolution Mean for Healthcare?
Are You Building Your Path to Greatness?
The Top 7 Paying Cybersecurity Careers
Every Action Has An Equal And Opposite Reaction
Cracking the Code to Customer Devotion with Shawn Moon
How To Improve Productivity In The Workplace
Equities13 hours ago
These 4 Stocks Are Pointing Higher
Development13 hours ago
6 Things Banks Taught Us About Building A Super Profitable Business
FinTech13 hours ago
The Logic of Digital Change
Permission to Succeed2 days ago
A Liquid Commodity for Diamonds with Cormac Kinney
Building Smarter Portfolios2 days ago
Why Insured Municipal Bonds Make Sense Today
Advisor Marketing2 days ago
Why You Should Treat Your Content Like Atoms in Financial Services
Development4 days ago
Do You Understand the True Value of Advice?
Advisor Marketing4 days ago
How Often Should Financial Advisors Blog?