Written by: Brian Young
On August 7, 2017, the Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (“OCIE”) released their observations of cybersecurity preparedness from the examinations of 75 SEC registered firms, including registered investment advisors (“RIAs”).
Although the OCIE noted improvements since their last cybersecurity risk alert in 2014, there is still room for improvement.
The OCIE suggests that RIAs consider the following practices to enhance their cybersecurity policies and procedures.
What you need to know:
- Include details on how safeguards will be implemented. OCIE recommends adding safeguards that are specific to your RIAs computers and systems to your procedures.
- Penetration tests to review the effectiveness of the firm’s cybersecurity policies and procedures.
- Security monitoring and system auditing of the firm’s cybersecurity framework. To answer questions, such as, when systems are reviewed for software updates and patches and who is responsible for conducting the reviews.
- Tracking list of vendors and what data is stored on the vendor’s system.
- Tracking of access rights for all employees to the systems that store client data.
- Access controls to firm data and systems including:
- Acceptable use policies for using the firm’s network or equipment.
- Restrictions and controls for using mobile devices when connected to the firm systems.
- Require third party vendors to provide logs of their activity on the firm’s network.
- Reporting of the loss of sensitive information including who should be contacted.
- Providing mandatory staff training of cybersecurity policies and procedures.
- Involvement from senior management to develop and approve the firm’s policies and procedures.
If you have any questions, please schedule time with your compliance consultant to discuss your cybersecurity risks.
For full details of the risk alert:
Will the Fed Cut Rates?
How to Grow as a Financial Services Marketer
Why Companies’ CSR Efforts Fail
Manage Like a Coach Not a Boss
What Does the Fourth Industrial Revolution Mean for Healthcare?
Are You Building Your Path to Greatness?
The Top 7 Paying Cybersecurity Careers
Every Action Has An Equal And Opposite Reaction
Cracking the Code to Customer Devotion with Shawn Moon
How To Improve Productivity In The Workplace
Equities16 hours ago
These 4 Stocks Are Pointing Higher
Development16 hours ago
6 Things Banks Taught Us About Building A Super Profitable Business
FinTech16 hours ago
The Logic of Digital Change
Permission to Succeed2 days ago
A Liquid Commodity for Diamonds with Cormac Kinney
Building Smarter Portfolios2 days ago
Why Insured Municipal Bonds Make Sense Today
Advisor Marketing2 days ago
Why You Should Treat Your Content Like Atoms in Financial Services
Development4 days ago
Do You Understand the True Value of Advice?
Advisor Marketing4 days ago
How Often Should Financial Advisors Blog?