Content is king and if you aren’t blogging, then you are missing out on a huge way to generate leads. Referrals are still a great way to generate business, but with the ever-changing industry, you also need to use strong inbound marketing tactics to drive traffic to your site and boost your site’s SEO rankings. So, how do you do this? A way to give your website the extra increase is to include a blog section on your site. Blogs provide even more resources and are an additional source of value that your visitors will appreciate. Check out the 7 reasons why your site needs a blog section.
7 Reasons Your Website Needs a Blog SectionYou may be wondering how will I ever have time to start blogging? It does require some extra effort, however, the payoff is beyond worth it. Check out the reasons you need to consider having one on your site and watch your page turn into a lead-generation machine.
1. BLOGGING ESTABLISHES YOU AS AN INDUSTRY THOUGHT-LEADERIf you can establish yourself as a thought-leader in the industry, then you can really stand out from the competition. The financial industry has so much competition these days, that if you create a really strong blog section that many others have not done yet, you will immediately stand out. Additionally, creating useful and helpful content will make other companies and advisors more likely to link back to your material, thus spreading your information and boosting your rankings. Twenty Over Ten client, C.L. Sheldon & Company does a great job of consistently creating strong blog posts that speak to their very specific niche, which is active or retired military. When someone has a question about their finances and it involves the military, it is generally very catered, and they have established themselves as a thought-leader and expert in the industry by providing these useful blog posts.
2. YOUR BLOGS CAN ANSWER CUSTOMER QUESTIONSYou can even use your blog section as a sort of “FAQ page.” If customers have common questions about a new update or platform, you can write about it in a blog, which in turn, will encourage interaction and grow trust.
3. IT’S A GREAT WAY TO MARKET ON A BUDGETBlogging is a great way to boost your rankings on a marketing budget. Running a business is expensive and many times, there is not a lot of money left over to contribute to your marketing, which is why this is such a great away to spread that budget as far as possible. Content can be created for a very small price, yet it can be used to not only provide information to clients and leads but also to introduce new products, services, an upcoming event, etc.
4. IT BOOSTS YOUR SEO RANKINGSBlogging is a great tactic for increasing your website’s SEO rankings. When writing a blog, be sure that you are utilizing several things that search engines will pick up on when they are crawling your website. Some things to keep in mind when writing your blogs to:
OPTIMIZE YOUR BLOGS ON A FAIRLY CONSISTENT BASICThis is a great way to get the most “bang for your buck” when it comes to the content that you have already spent time creating. If you wrote a really awesome blog last year and according to your Google Analytics, it generated a lot of traffic, you can reuse that content! Go through and update old links with some fresh content, check your keywords, titles, find out what is trending and somehow weave that into your blog where it is appropriate. You worked hard on this blog, and it will save you a lot of time and effort to simply update it and use it again.
INCLUDE STRONG KEYWORDSWhen using strong keywords, this can really boost your rankings and ensure that your firm appears on the first page of the SERPs. So, what is a keyword? Well, it’s found throughout your website, and helps to define what your content is all about. Using a word frequently throughout your websites and particularly your blog says a lot about your firm. They communicate to the top search engines what information is on your website. When a phrase is entered into the search box, search engines will pull the most relevant and useful websites to populate the search engine results page (SERP). The keywords help with this, so if you know that something is trending or being heavily googled, go back and see if you can put those keywords into your blog post. Something to remember though is to avoid keyword stuffing. This is when you use a keyword so many times that it comes off as “spammy.” When you do this, the search engines will actually penalize you, so be sure that you use them appropriately. Twenty Over Ten client Upland Financial Partners has a very specific niche as they cater to hunters and fine gun collectors, and the keywords are evident on their homepage.
LINK TO EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL LINKSLinking is a great way to boost rankings, and you can link both internally and externally. When you link internally, it simply leads to another page on your website, so this is a great way to direct your readers to landing pages, contact pages, or any other place on your site that will offer them information. When visitors spend longer on your website, that always boosts your SEO rankings. When adding external links to your blogs, be sure that you are linking to legitimate and trustworthy sources. Ensure that they are trustworthy and informative. Linking to a relevant, popular and informative source will increase your SEO rankings much more than if you linked to someone who does not display quality information or is not well-known. Additionally, this is a great way to form relationships with other companies because when you link to an outside source, they will know that you are linking to them. This will make them more likely to link back to your website and can improve your chance of being picked up by search engines on another site. It’s kind of like networking online through linking!
USE ALT TAGS ON IMAGESDon’t forget about using your alt tags when you include images, as this describes what is on the image and the function of it for the page. Search engines are not very good at reading images, so having this wording on the backend is incredibly important.
MAKE SURE YOU USE APPROPRIATE TITLES AND HEADER TAGSOne of the main parts of the page the search engines are crawling first is your titles. So it’s extremely important to consider what titles you want to use for your posts BEFORE publishing. This is a very simple way to show them what the blog will be about, so it’s important to make your titles strong. What are some ways you can make your titles stand out?
- Keep it short and sweet, but also use strong words.
- Tailor the title to target your niche audience.
- Use language that makes readers take action.
- Don’t forget about your strong keywords.
- Include numbers in your title.